New Challenges to the Law Enforcement Internal Affairs Process
September 10, 2020 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm| $99.00
The recent nationwide demonstrations and protests coupled with the flurry of legislative enactments have pressured law enforcement agencies and unions to reevaluate their approach to Internal Affairs, administrative investigations and employee discipline. Many of these expressed concerns aren’t new, either. Law enforcement personnel know the right way to handle most of these internal issues. But too often we allow mistrust to build within and without our agencies and the perception by the community and our employees becomes reality for them. This webinar will address some of the more common and perplexing issues in our Internal Affairs process:
- What are reasonable time limits for the completion of an administrative investigation?
- How can we overcome the public’s misunderstanding of Garrity and other employee rights?
- What impact would a removal or limitation of Qualified Immunity have on our agencies and employees?
- Are unions and collective bargaining the problem?
- Internal politicization of Internal Affairs.
- The impact of failing to articulate ‘rational reasoning’ in employee discipline.
- Public notice and unreasonable hindrances in accessing the police complaint process.
- Do our IA files need protection?
- Underlying issues with Body Worn Cameras and the future of this tool.
Instructor: Lou Reiter
Date: September 10, 2020
Time: 12-1:00 pm Eastern
PLEASE NOTE: Your registration for this webinar will give you access to the live session, as well as 30 days of access to the recorded version of the webinar once the live session has ended.
Group Viewing Encouraged: As few as just one attendee or a training room full; multiple attendees can view the webinar from one single location and each attendee can receive a certificate